Interior, St Peter's Church, Kirkgate, Leeds, West Yorkshire, c1955-c1980. A detailed view of an Anglo-Saxon Cross, situated underneath an arch at the eastern end of the south arcade of St Peter's Parish Church. The church dates from 1839-1841, by RD Chantrell, and was altered between 1870 and 1880. The chancel and nave are equal in length and both have tall aisles. The cross is potentially 10th or 11th century and the work is most likely Irish in origin. There is a Celtic cross with carved knots at the top of a tapering shaft of seven blocks, each with a different carving. It is underneath the second most eastern arch of the southern arcade, which is continuous through the nave and chancel.