Whippingham Church, Isle of Wight, 1850. View of an '...unassuming parish Church, which her Majesty [Queen Victoria] frequents when staying at her marine residence of Osborne [House]...its exterior is devoid of beauty, its architectural features being extremely plain...The Church has a square tower, from which rises an octagonal spire, the surface of which is sculptured like fishes' scales'. (Originally a medieval building, St Mildred's was the estate church for Osborne House. It was altered in 1804-05 by John Nash, but was demolished after 1850, and completely rebuilt to designs by Prince Albert). From "Illustrated London News", 1850.
World Europe United Kingdom England Isle of Wight Whippingham
Locations & Buildings Places of Worship
Religion & Belief Christianity
Artistic Representations Landscapes
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 4960x4000
File Size : 58,125kb