Bridges over the River Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, c1955-c1980. A general view of the River Tyne, seen from the north bank and looking east, with the High Level Bridge in the foreground, Swing Bridge in the midground and Tyne Bridge in the background. The High Level Bridge is a combined road and railway bridge, constructed in 1849 and designed by Robert Stephenson. It is of ashlar and cast iron, with five piers supporting six segmental arches spanning the river, with the railway at the top of the arch, and the road underneath. In the midground is the Swing Bridge, a pedestrian and road bridge that was built between 1868 and 1876 on the site of previous Roman and Medieval bridges. It has six spans: two over the land, two over the river and two over the rotating section. A central pier supports the swinging section, which is around 86 metres long on a pivot with roller bearings, and was originally powered by hydraulic motors. It is now powered with electricity. The Tyne Bridge in the background was built between 1925 and 1928, constructed by Dorman, Long & Co, and designed by engineers Mott, Hay and Anderson, and the towers by Robert Burns Dick. It has a single steel arch which spans the river with a suspended deck supported by pylons at either end. The steel and concrete towers are clad with granite, and the bridge parapet is cast iron.