Cathedral and Abbey Church of St Alban, Hertfordshire, c1955-c1980. An exterior view of the west elevation of the St Albans Abbey Church, rebuilt in the 1890s by Lord Grimthorpe, with the graveyard in the background to the north. The Abbey Church has Norman foundations, with the nave, transepts and crossing tower still surviving. The chancel arcade was built in the 13th century and the south side of the nave rebuilt after 1323. The west end was rebuilt in the late 19th century and has a large central entrance with gable over the door and a large traceried window. This bay had a gable roof and buttresses on either side. Two smaller symmetrical arches flank the main entrance, and all three gables are topped with different cross designs. At either end are octagonal towers with short spires.