Greenwich Observatory, London, 1911-1912. The Royal Observatory in Greenwich (formerly the Royal Greenwich Observatory or RGO) was commissioned in 1675 by King Charles II. At this time the king also created the position of Astronomer Royal (initially filled by John Flamsteed). The observatory is situated on a hill in Greenwich Park overlooking the River Thames. From Penrose's Pictorial Annual 1911-1912, The Process Year Book, volume 17, edited by William Gamble and published by AW Penrose (London, 1911-1912).