The new lake, Kew Gardens, [London], 1860. 'Great pains have been taken during the past year to improve the pleasure-grounds or Arboretum. Besides continued planting, the formation of new walks, and the better keep of the very extensive lawns, there are two features in anticipation which will add greatly to the beauty and attractions of these grounds. One is the new lake, five acres in extent, now nearly completed...This lake, with its beautifully wooded island, is situated midway between the Palm-house and the Thames, on the left of the Zion vista. It will be supplied until water from the Thames by a pipe or drain at high water. The other is the erection of what has long been the great desideratum of the gardens - a conservatory or temperate greenhouse, on a scale commensurate with the extent and importance of this great national establishment, and destined for the reception of all trees and shrubs from extra-tropical countries, especially our own colonies'. From "Illustrated London News", 1860.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 4960x3398
File Size : 49,378kb