New School-Church of St. Peter's, Stepney, [East London], 1857. 'This building, as its name denotes, includes the work of a school, and a means of bringing home to the labouring classes the services of the Church...The district consists of 13,000, mostly of poor and labouring people...and this room will enable the active and energetic pastor...to assist and instruct those who from various causes do not go to church...The cost of the building is £1550. It was built by Mr. Charles Barry, and is a fine and well-proportioned room...it is hoped that the amount still due on account of this useful and necessary work, will be raised to ease the anxieties of the clergyman, and that some of the richer members of the Church of England will send help to this poor district, in which so arduous a task is being so actively set about. It deserves confidence and help'. From "Illustrated London News", 1857.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 3633x2136
File Size : 7,579kb