Interior of Whippingham Church, Isle of Wight, 1850. 'The interior of the Church is as simple as the exterior, there being no enrichment to the arches or windows, or decorations to the roof. There are galleries in the transepts; their fronts of the plainest description, as far as the panelling is concerned...The pulpit is placed at the junction of the chancel and the nave, and is supported by slight columns on one side, and the stairs on the other...The seat occupied by her Majesty [Queen Victoria] is on the south side of the Church, and may be distinguished...by the dark curtain drawn around it...The Rev. Mr. Protheroe is the incumbent'. (Originally a medieval building, St Mildred's was the estate church for Osborne House. It was altered in 1804-05 by John Nash, but was demolished after 1850, and completely rebuilt to designs by Prince Albert). From "Illustrated London News", 1850.
Locations & Buildings Places of Worship
Religion & Belief Christianity
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 4960x4349
File Size : 63,197kb