Wolseley hydroplane, 1912. The Wolseley Motors company, a British motor vehicle manufacturer founded in early 1901 by Vickers, also built marine power-units for a variety of watercraft. At first engines for launches were made in partnership with the well-known manufacturers, the Teddington Launch Works, to supply the launches. Demand for marine engines grew and Wolseley also designed and manufactured engines for hydroplanes, cruisers, passenger ferries and lifeboats. Many of the larger vessels were built by S. E. Saunders Ltd., at Cowes, Isle-of-Wight. The 120-hp V8 units for hydroplanes were of very advanced design, where weight was critical, and so required considerable development work.