Old Hall Hotel, Buxton, Derbyshire, 2010. Although the properties of its waters were known as far back as Roman times, the Peak District town of Buxton was first developed as a spa resort by the Dukes of Devonshire in the late 18th century. The town's popularity had a second resurgence about a century later when the Victorians flocked there to enjoy the healing properties of the springs. The Old Hall Hotel is one of the oldest buildings in the town. It was originally built in the 1570s by Bess of Hardwick and George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury, and was used several times by Mary, Queen of Scots while she was in their custody and wanted to take the waters at Buxton. It was rebuilt as it appears today in 1670.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 5120x3413
File Size : 51,195kb