South Shore Country Club, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 1956. Postcard showing the exterior of the South Shore Country Club on Lake Michigan, the landscaped grounds and the parking lot. The building was designed by Chicago architectural firm Marshall and Fox in 1916. The club, founded in 1905, had tennis courts, a 9 hole golf course, a bowling green and a private beach on Lake Michigan. In the 1960s, as the neighbourhood became racially integrated, the wealthy white people who made up its membership began to move away. Refusing to admit black members (Jews had also been banned from joining since the 1930s), the club declined and closed in 1973. Today the building houses the South Shore Cultural Center.