The Lumberers' Arch at Ottawa, erected on the occasion of the Prince of Wales's visit to Canada, 1860. 'The most singular of all the arches erected in the British provinces of North America in honour of the Prince of Wales's visit was the Lumberers' Arch erected near the Chaudière Bridge...It was sixty-five feet in height, and eighty-two feet in length, and was composed of 180,000 feet of lumber. Not a nail was used in its construction, nor a plank spoiled. It was massive and imposing. Few ornaments were placed upon it. To its size and simple design it owed its magnificent appearance. From the way in which the boards were piled, small pieces having been placed between each, the light passed through, producing a peculiar and pleasing effect. There were three archways. The largest was fifteen feet in width and twenty-five feet high...In front was an immense plank, thirty-four inches in width, bearing on it the word "Welcome." The arch was suggested by Mr. James Skead, and designed by Mr. D. Scott. The lumber was shipped from the mills of Messrs. Pattie, Perry, and Co., at whose expense in conjunction with Messrs. Merrill Baldwin and Young, and Harris Brownson and Co., it was erected. It was much admired by the Prince and his suite'. From "Illustrated London News", 1860.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 4960x4456
File Size : 64,752kb