The Interior of St. Paul's Cathedral, showing the improvements recently made, with the new eastern transept in the foreground, 1860. 'It was never the intention of Sir Christopher Wren to subdivide the length of the church by the organ, which till lately occupied the centre, but he was overruled by the authorities of his day, and the effect of his interior was nearly spoiled. The present Dean and Chapter, however, have allowed his judgment to prevail, and the organ has been removed to the north side...The solid and gloomy screen which supported the organ has been taken away, and the choir is at present open westwards...Our Engraving represents the interior of the cathedral as seen from the east end, with the new eastern transept in the foreground. The organ of the choir is seen on the north side. Beyond the open columnar screen (a point not yet decided on) the dome is seen, with some of the proposed pictures in mosaic on the spandrils or triangular spaces between the great arches...This view from east to west was hitherto entirely lost, in consequence of the interruption of the solid screen and organ, but it is now one of the most striking in the cathedral'. From "Illustrated London News", 1860.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 3956x5241
File Size : 20,248kb