Fareham Institution Hall and Corn Exchange, 1860. 'This building, which has just been completed and opened to the public, forms a point of interest not only to the town to which it is an ornament, but to the surrounding agricultural district...on account of the superior accommodation it offers to both buyer and seller of grain. The portion of the building...to the left of the central entrance contains the reading-room, library, and hall of the Fareham Literary Institute, and which was erected for the use of the old Fareham Institution, from which it takes its name. It was inaugurated some twenty-four years since...but that institution falling into decay it was transferred to the present institute, who are merely the occupiers. The building itself was put up to auction, and purchased by an enterprising townsman, Mr. George Boorn, who has added the Corn Exchange and large stores and offices behind. These form the portion...on the right of the central entrance, and complete the block of buildings...[in] our Illustration...these buildings will undoubtedly be a great boon to the agriculturists of the districts, as giving a larger scope for that legitimate competition which is so necessary in order to maintain the balance of supply and demand'. From "Illustrated London News", 1860.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 4960x4521
File Size : 65,696kb