Church of St. Mary, in course of construction at Hornsey-Rise, 1860. 'St. Mary's Church will be in the Decorated style of the fourteenth century. The arrangement of the plan is that of a nave, with north and south aisles, north and south transepts, and chancel...It will be substantially built, the exterior being of Kentish ragstone, with Bath stone dressings, and will accommodate on the ground floor 750 persons. It is not intended to erect galleries at present, but provision has been made in the arrangement of the plan for their erection if required hereafter. They will occupy the west end and the transepts only, leaving the nave and the side aisles throughout free and unincumbered. The further accommodation then obtained will be for 270 more. The church is being erected from the design and under the direction of Mr. A. D. Gough, of Lancaster-place, Strand; the contractor for the works being Mr. G. J. Carter, of Hornsey-road'. From "Illustrated London News", 1860.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 2980x4960
File Size : 43,304kb