The Arsenal at Naples - from a drawing by S. Read, 1860. 'The dockyard and arsenal of Naples adjoin the Castel Nuovo and the Royal Palace. The arsenal was built by the Viceroy Mendoza in 1577. The Wet Dock, or Darsena, was begun, in 1688, from the designs of a Carthusian monk called Bonaventura Presti, who, having been a carpenter in early life, and acquired some knowledge of architecture, induced the Viceroy Don Pedro of Aragon to intrust to him the construction of a new dock. In spite of all remonstrance, he persisted in excavating it on the narrow site below the palace. During the progress of the work the accumulation of water proved too much for the engineering talents of the monk. The Viceroy at length employed the able architect Francesco Picchiatti, who completed the works with great skill. Considerable additions have been made to these works in recent years, particularly since the introduction of steam navigation. The Darsena now communicates with the Porto Militare, and through the latter with the sea'. From "Illustrated London News", 1860.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 5582x3847
File Size : 20,971kb