Fountain to be erected in front of Holyrood Palace, [in Edinburgh], 1858. 'The improvements which have been made in the neighbourhood of Holyrood by the late First Commissioner have been on rather an extensive scale...the chief ornament of the Palace will be the fountain, which is to adorn the west front...Instead of seeking a new design, Sir Benjamin Hall found at the Palace of Linlithgow the remains of what was formerly the fountain which adorned the magnificent residence of the Scottish Sovereigns. These remains...were found to be so complete that there could be no doubt as to the proportions of this exquisite fountain. Mr. Matheson, the officer of works, was directed to prepare working drawings and to ascertain the cost of perpetuating this design by the completion of a similar fountain near Holyrood...The fountain is to be placed immediately in front of the entrance of the Palace. The supply of water is constant, and is of the purest quality. It issues from the rocks, at a high level, on the north side of the park, and will be conveyed in iron pipes to the new fountain; and, instead of running to waste as it now does into one of the sewers, it will be accessible to all those who may desire to benefit thereby'. From "Illustrated London News", 1858.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 2514x2751
File Size : 6,754kb