The Chapel Royal, Windsor Castle, 1854. 'The alterations...have been made, under the directions of her Majesty and Prince Albert, by Mr. John Thomas, of Paddington, and reflect the highest credit on his skill...the ceiling, which is coved all round, and arranged so as to preserve an octagonal form, is of extremely good design...The windows of the lantern are filled with stained glass, bearing the crests and monograms of her Majesty and Prince Albert. The chandelier pendent from the centre of the lantern is the original one, after Sir J. Wyattville's [sic] design, and is of cast metal.. Beneath the beautiful cresting which runs round the walls, close to the coved part of the ceiling, is a frieze, containing, in raised old English characters, part of the "Te Deum."...the organ gallery and the case of the organ are of oak, as indeed are all the wood fittings of the Chapel'. From "Illustrated London News", 1854.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 3788x3588
File Size : 13,273kb