New wing of Osborne House, Isle of Wight, 1845. Improvements to one of the royal residences: '...Mr. Thomas Cubitt, the eminent builder, received her Majesty [Queen Victoria]'s commands to prepare the necessary design for a commodious Mansion, as much as possible in unison with Osborne House...The new edifice is in the palazzo style: the south front forms nearly a right angle with the old mansion, and extends in a north easterly direction about 100 feet towards the sea. The entire building forms nearly a square of between 70 and 80 feet, presenting also a similar frontage to the eastward....The tower is erected over the foundation-stone, and has reached its intended height: for several miles round it forms a conspicuous object. From its summit, the panoramic view is indescribably beautiful...'. From "Illustrated London News", 1845, Vol VII.
World Europe United Kingdom England Isle of Wight East Cowes
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 4960x3615
File Size : 52,531kb