Monument to Admiral Maitland, 1845. Sculpture '...in alto relievo', by 'Mr. T. Campbell, of Great Marlborough-street, London', of British naval officer, Rear-Admiral Sir Frederick Lewis Maitland. 'A beautiful white marble monument has just been placed in the chapel of the Dockyard at Portsmouth, to the memory of Sir Frederick Lewis Maitland...With other circumstances which have attached fame and honour to the name of the gallant deceased is associated one which must hand down his name to posterity, as connected with the most remarkable events of modem times; we allude to the fact of Napoleon having surrendered to him, on board the Bellerophon, 78, after the disastrous affair of Waterloo, when off Rochfort, on the 15th of July, 1815...'. From "Illustrated London News", 1845, Vol VII.
Artistic Representations Portraits
History & Politics War & Military Military Figures & Personnel
Locations & Buildings Monuments & Statues
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 4101x4960
File Size : 59,593kb