Fountain of Elise, Aix-la-Chapelle, 1845. 'The Mineral Springs of Aix rise in the centre of the town: they are of two classes - strong and hot, and weak and cool; the first class, of 143° Fahrenheit, containing a larger quantity of sulphur than any other known in Europe. From this class is supplied the Fountain of Elise, very handsome edifice, with a colonnade; serving as a pump- room and a cafe. The guests, or visitors, repair hither early in the morning to drink the water, which, though conducted in pipes direct from the Emperor's Spring, retains a temperature of 43° Réaumur. A band of music plays at the spot until the middle of September, which is considered the end of the season; and breakfasts and dinners are provided in the apartments during the spring. The building is named after the Queen of Prussia'. From "Illustrated London News", 1845, Vol VII.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 4960x3494
File Size : 50,773kb