War Memorial, Eldon Square, Newcastle Upon Tyne, c1955-c1973. A general view of Eldon Square, seen from the south-west corner and showing the Newcastle and District War Memorial in the centre of the square, and the north and eastern terraces, of which only the east survives after a shopping centre was built on the site in 1973-1976. The memorial at the centre of Eldon Square was erected in 1923 to commemorate men from the city who had died during the First World War. It was paid for by public subscirption and was unveiled on 26 September 1923 by Field Marshal Earl Haig. It consists of a tall square plinth of Portland stone with a carving of a lion on the base on the south side, and a bronze figure of St George on a rearing charger and thursting a long spear into the head of the Dragon underneath him. In the background are two ranges of terraced houses, now offices and shops, that flanked the north, east and west sides of Eldon Square. The north and east sides are visible, and were built between 1825 and 1831 by Thomas Oliver and John Dobson for Richard Grainger. The east range has 33 bays in total, and three storeys with basement and attics, with the five bays on either end slightly projecting. The north range has five central bays that project and the ground floor is raised above the street level. The north and west range were demolished c1973, and the Eldon Shopping Centre was constructed 1973-1976.