St George's Hall, Liverpool, Merseyside, c1955-c1980. A view of the north and east front of St George's Hall, seen from the north. St George's Hall is a large classically-inspired building, designed by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes and Charles Cockerell and built between 1841 and 1856 to be used as a public hall and law courts. The north end in the foreground has a semi-circular projection with nine bays separated by fluted corinthian columns. The top section of the bays have embedded square plaques, and the lower section sash windows. To the left is the east front, with a six-bay loggia with corinthian columns, and square plaques with relief carvings of figures, and further right is the entrance. The entrance consists of a free-standing arcade of sixteen fluted columns at the top of the platform accessed by a large flight of steps. In front of the hall is a bronze statue of Benjamin Disraeli, made in 1886 and located in the middle of the steps to the hall. Further east fom the steps is bronze equestrian statue on a stone plinth, by Thomas Thorneycroft and dated 1870. There is also a car park and pedestrians on St George's Plateau, and in the background is a view of Liverpool, looking west.