Grimsby Dock Tower, Lincolnshire, April 1950. This famous maritime landmark was built in 1852 as a hydraulic reservoir to power the lock gates and cranes of Grimsby Docks. Based on the design of the Palazzo Pubblico in Siena, the tower is 94m tall. By 1900 new technology made it largely redundant, but it remains a monument to Grimsby's maritime heritage. There is a model of the tower at Legoland, Windsor. The paddle steamer Lincoln Castle can also be seen in Alexandra Dock in this aerial photograph.
World Europe United Kingdom England North East Lincolnshire Grimsby
Lifestyle & Leisure Transport & Travel
Trade & Industry Shipping Industry
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 4335x4351
File Size : 18,420kb