London Aerodrome, Hendon, September 1919. Aerial photograph showing the London Country Club (formerly the London Flying Club). The building was later used as Hendon Police College, which opened in 1934. This site had been promoted as London Aerodrome since 1911, and was used in the First World War to train Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service pilots. It reopened to civilian use in 1919 and was the venue for flying displays, as well as being the first base for Aerofilms. In 1922 the RAF took over the aerodrome and civilian flights were excluded. A number of aircraft can be seen clustering close to the clubhouse.