Girls' Hebrew reading lesson, Jews' Free School, Stepney, London, 1908. A teacher istructs a class of girls, who sit at their desks with their books open. Hebrew characters are written on the blackboard at the front of the class. The Jews' Free School opened as a Talmud Torah at the Great Synagogue in 1732. Originally a charity school for fifteen poor orphan boys it grew to become the largest Jewish School in Britain. Between 1880 and 1890 one third of all Anglo-Jewish children were educated there. The school is now called the JFS Comprehensive.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 3454x2818
File Size : 28,516kb