King George V and Queen Mary at the opening ceremony of the University of Nottingham, 1928. From its foundation in 1881, the University College came under the authority of the Nottingham Corporation and the College's management committee was controlled by the Town Council. In 1906-1908 DH Lawrence was a student at the University College. It was originally located on Shakespeare Street before the University relocated to its present Highfields site between Lenton, Dunkirk and Beeston 1928. The land was a 35 acre site donated by Sir Jesse Boot, 1st Baron Trent. The photograph here shows part of the opening ceremony, with crowds watching the procession of King George V and Queen Mary through the quadrangle of the new Trent Building.
World Europe United Kingdom England Nottingham Nottingham
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 4817x3647
File Size : 51,468kb