'Front elevation of the Great Temple of Abu Simbel, Nubia', Egypt, 1849. Colossal statues at the entrance to the Temple of Abu Simbel built during the reign of Rameses II (ruled 1279-1212 BC) and dedicated to the sun gods Amon-Re and Re-Horakhte. Rameses' reign was notable for a dramatic upsurge in the rate of temple building. The existence of the great temple at Abu Simbel was unknown outside Egypt in modern times until 1813. It was explored in 1817 by the Italian explorer and antiquity seeker Giovanni Battista Belzoni (1778-1823). Plate 44 from Vol 2 of Egypt and Nubia by David Roberts.
Pixel Dimensions (W x H) : 5112x3430
File Size : 51,370kb