English Heritage is the Government‘s lead body for the historic environment in England. It is responsible for protecting the best of this country’s unique legacy of historic buildings, landscapes and archaeological sites for the benefit of this and future generations. The National Monuments Record (NMR) is English Heritage’s public archive and NMR is the home of around 10 million items covering England’s buildings, archaeology and maritime sites.
The collections include:
- six million photographs, dating from the 1860s to the present day, of England‘s buildings
- almost total coverage of England in aerial photographs
- survey reports on specific buildings and archaeological sites
- complete set of listed building descriptions for England
- data on most known English archaeological sites
- a specialist reference library